2010/06/08

Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell

Winter's Bone Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
When I saw that Woodrell was also the author of "Tomato Red", I almost put this book back on the shelf. I really, really, really did not like that book. But the reviews for this were great, the plot sounded like an actual plot, and he's written a few more books between that one and this one, so I decided to give it a shot. And I'm really glad I did!

This is a tremendous story of a young girl who has lived in survival mode her entire life. Survival not only for herself, but for her two brothers and her own mother. She takes care of them not only because in her world, it's expected, but also because, as is revealed through her actions more than her words, she is a person that takes responsibility and family very seriously. It's all she has to call her own, and she will not let anyone, no matter how scary or violent and cruel, get in her way. The story moves very quickly, covering just a few days, yet there is so much character back story and revelation that it could have taken twice as many pages. The beauty of this book is that it didn't. Like the lives of the people in this story, the story is raw and to the point.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: