2010/06/04

The Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah

Winter Garden Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah


My rating: 3 of 5 stars
This is two books in one: a very good historical fiction within a contemporary family drama, and both stories are well told. Too many times I've read books with combined genres that read as if the author had two small stories to tell and combined them to get a full novel, but this time the stories really are a part of each other and the family part wouldn't exist in the form it does if it weren't for what had happened in the past. I loved the slow progression of fairy tale to memoir, and the third to last ending (with two plots, there's bound to be more than one ending, right?) was a well earned tear jerker. The very final ending went to a place I wish the story hadn't gone, but up until that point, this was a good "loose yourself in other people's troubles" book.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: