2010/06/02

Tonight I Said Goodbye by Michael Koryta

Tonight I Said Goodbye (Lincoln Perry Series) Tonight I Said Goodbye by Michael Koryta


My rating: 2 of 5 stars
I recently attended a ceremony where Koryta was the honored alumnus, and enjoyed his speach so much that I couldn't wait to read his writing. Perhaps it was the different purposes, or maybe he's gotten better as a writer since this first book, but I was slightly disappointed. In person, Koryta was a bright and funny guy, and there was a naturalness to his speaking that took it several notches aboce the usual commencement speach. That naturalness is missing in his writing, unfortunately. Although his characters are fairly interesting, the seem forced together as if they were taken from a mystery writers checklist. The plot is convinving and again, fairly interesting, and given the first novel thing, passable. But there's just nothing that jumps out at me and says this is a series you want to get hooked on. Having said all that, I am going to give his most recent book a shot. It's a different genre and maybe he's found a way to let his true talent shine in his writing.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: