2011/08/23

Review: Happily Ever After


Happily Ever After
Happily Ever After by John Klima

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



"Fairy Tales Retold" is the subtitle, and the only thing truly negative I can say about this collection is that I would have liked to see a broader selection in source material. Why do so many authors want to rework Little Red Riding Hood?

Although some of the books are told in a style that's not my favorite, there's not a bad tale in this book. My favorites, in the order they appear in the book:

Michelle West's heartbreaking version of Beauty and the Beast, "The Rose Garden"
Kelly Link's very original "The Fairy Handbag"
Rober J Howe's "Pinocchio's Diary", a dark story that hits on the reason I've never thought of Pinocchio as a children's story
Wendy Wheeler's "Little Red", gloriously and obviously inspired by another classic piece of literature
Gregory Frost's grown up version of Rapunzel "The Root of the Matter"



View all my reviews

No comments: