2010/03/19

The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara

The Killer Angels The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Many years ago, I took a reluctant trip to Gettysburg National Park. It was a reluctant trip because I didn't consider myself a Civil War buff and I could think of a lot better ways to spend a day than reading a bunch of historical markers and staring at statues of men who made questionable decisions. I was a fool. By the time I had finished making a tour of the battle, using one of the audio guides you can buy in the gift shop, I was emotionally exhausted. "Seeing" the battle through the words of the people who had been there, walking some of the same paths they had taken....I'd never felt anything quite like that. This book had the same affect.

The Killer Angels puts a very human face on a singularly remarkable event in US military history. Shaara uses his source material to make a great read with true character arcs, a living and breathing setting, and most importantly, something that leaves the reader with as many questions as answers.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: