2012/03/04

Review: Breaking the Chain: How I Banned Chain Restaurants From My Diet And Went From Full To Fulfilled


Breaking the Chain: How I Banned Chain Restaurants From My Diet And Went From Full To Fulfilled
Breaking the Chain: How I Banned Chain Restaurants From My Diet And Went From Full To Fulfilled by Allyson Reedy

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



Once the author has covered how difficult it is to avoid what she has defined as chain restaurants (definitely a YMMV definition), the book becomes stories of her experiences. The details about meals ate at local restaurants aren't that compelling to someone who hasn't or doesn't plan to eat at those restaurants. Reading over and over again about the inconvenience she caused her coworkers and friends seemed more about pointing out how special the author was for what she was doing rather than using the opportunity to educate why eating local might be a good idea. But, there's a reason for that. Reedy cause wasn't ideological, it was personal. She'd had repeatedly bad meals at the same chain restaurants. Also, I suspect she was looking for a blog topic and thought this was a good one. It probably would have made a better localized blog rather than a book with the word "Fulfilled" in the title.

Her writing style is light and conversational, and humorous if you find self admitted hunger tantrums funny.



View all my reviews

No comments: