2012/01/30

Review: The Tiger's Wife


The Tiger's Wife
The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I'm torn between three and four stars. At the core this is not only a very good story, but some damn fine story telling. But I cound not shake the feeling that about one third of the book is padding. Dialogs and descriptions go on too long; there's an awful lot of gazing action at something that ends up having nothing to do with the story other than tell us that the character was searching, both internally and externally which the reader already knows about from the well told parts of the book. In the end, I'm being generous with the four stars because the two fables that the story is built around, The Tiger's Wife and The Deathless Man are great pieces of short fiction all on their own.



View all my reviews

No comments: