2010/05/11

Castle Eppstein by Alexandre Dumas

Castle Eppstein Castle Eppstein by Alexandre Dumas


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Very, very gothic and a darn good ghost story told in the old fashioned style of a narrator sharing a scary story at a social gathering. Readers who don't like Dumas's over the top melodrama probably won't like this book, and those looking for the intrigue and complicated relationships of The Count of Monte Cristo and The Three Musketeers will might be a little disappointed as well. This is early Dumas, possibly when he was writing all of a book by himself, and there's as much focus on setting as character in this one, and I liked that. There were portions of the work that didn't read like something written in the 1840s, however and for that I blame the translation. Also, I'm not a fan of footnotes in fiction. They take me out of the story and into a lesson that the editor didn't trust me enough to figure out for myself.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: